Thursday, April 4, 2019

30 Great Poems for April, Day 4: "Collective Nouns for Humans in the Wild" by Kathy Fish


Read "Collective Nouns for Humans in the Wild" in the online journal Jellyfish Review here.

This hybrid poem/prose piece by Kathy Fish, published in the online journal Jellyfish Review just after the mass shooting at the Route 21 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas, went viral in October 2017. When I read it at the time, it gave me shivers. The poem stuck with me, particularly those last few hair-raising lines.

But by the time I came back to this poem a few months ago, in my mind it had grown; I remembered it as being a long, list-y poem. So I was surprised to read it again and find that it's actually very short, concise, even lean—and I think that's one of its greath strengths, the fact that it can start out so larky, sweet, offhand, and then so quickly take that dark turn at the end. Its whiplash is swift and sure. I also love the fact that it's not exactly a poem, though many regard it as one; it's a great example of the flexibility of hybrid forms. This is one of those poems that make me think anything is possible with words.












[All through April, I’m featuring a favorite poem every day, along with a link where you can read it. Some are classics, some are newer, but each one is the kind of poem that I read, love, and immediately want to tell all my friends about. What better to time to share them than National Poetry Month?]
















No comments:

Post a Comment